Mobile devices have been taking a rising interest in companies and personal usage. One question that has been brought upon by users is how to get their personal or work data from the phone to a laptop or desktop without having to use e-mails. Having the great option to browse the internet without needing to be hooked up to a Wi-Fi hotspot is a great ability for any Android user.
Android phones (Android 2.2 Froyo right now) now come with a built-in tether ability to allow any Android phone to connect to PCs and laptops. The earlier versions of Androids did not have a built-in tethering device, but there is an app that can download the tethering capability. This lets customers have the ability to share any data saved on the Smartphone to their personal PC or laptop.
Tethering an Android phone to a PC lets companies and personal users work without a bunch of wires connected from here and there with or without Wi-Fi areas.
With just a few, easy steps, anyone can tether their Android to a PC or laptop. These steps will have any Android connected to any personal or private computer or laptop. However, some Androids may need to activate a special tethering plan with one’s service provider before trying to tether an Android to a laptop/PC.
Steps to Tethering Androids to PCs
- Step 1: Have both devices (the Android and PC or laptop), then by using the computer USB cable, connect the Android to the computer
- Step 2: On the Android, go to the “settings” menu (menu button, settings)
- Step 3: Select the function: “Wireless & Networks” from the menu of the Android
- Step 4: While in the Wireless & Networks menu of the Android, open up the “Tethering & Portable Hotspot” option from the Android
- Step 5: Check the box for “USB Tethering” in the “Tethering & Portable Hotspot” menu
- Step 6: Enjoy being able to share saved data from the Android and PC or laptop
From here on out, the Android should be a mobile version of a PC now, after a confirmation pop-up has stated a stable connection between the Android and PC or laptop.
The user can now surf the internet, check e-mails, update Facebook statuses, and everything else on their PCs from their phones.
There will sometimes be a notification on the screen stating “Enable Bluetooth DUN,” which can be run with any desktop or laptop that is able to function with Bluetooth. This option can be used to connect to the internet instead of hooking up with a tethernet connection.
Tethering a PC or laptop to a mobile device such as an Android is a great way to have the internet without needing to be in a Wi-Fi hotspot. This is great for anyone who is continually on the go, or for those who enjoy vacationing in places that do not have easy access to the internet or Wi-Fi. Keeping in contact with loved ones or business partners has just gotten easier, thanks to Android.