iOS 6 is now available for the masses and is being adopted at a rapid pace. You can get iOS 6 as an Over The Air (OTA) update or as a tethered update by connecting a USB dock cable and then downloading the update via iTunes on your PC. OTA is typically a faster way to update your device while iTunes allows a clean install if you are concerned about a bad backup to restore causing lower battery life or other such issues.
List of iOS 6 Compatible Devices
Before moving to the update the procedure, you should ensure whether your iDevice is compatible with iOS 6 or not. Here is a list of all iOS 6 compatible iDevices:
- iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS
- iPad 3, iPad 2
- iPod Touch 5, iPod Touch 4
How to Update to iOS 6 Over The Air
This is a rather straight forward method:
- Open your Settings
- Tap General
- Tap Software Update
- Here you will find the details about the update
- Then tap Download and Install.
- You will be provided with a Terms and Conditions page, Tap Agree to proceed.
- A progress bar will be shown to you indicating the download progress (the download time depends upon the speed of your Internet and the load on Apple’s servers). Speed may vary, so be patient
- Once the download is finished, you will be asked to install, simply tap on Install
- The installation will be started within 3 seconds
- After the update is installed, your phone will automatically Restart
- After a restart, Apple will Verify to you the iOS 6 update
That’s it, you are done with your IOS 6 update!
How to Update to iOS 6 via iTunes (Preferable for Jailbroken Devices)
First of all, before updating to iOS 6 you need to back up your iPhone. Follow this simple procedure to make your backup:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer and open iTunes. Your iPhone should start to sync and backup automatically (if it doesn’t start syncing automatically, click the Sync button in order to back up your device)
- You can then right-click on your device name in the navigation bar and click Back Up
After backing up your device, follow the procedure below to upgrade to iOS 6:
- Connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to your PC or Mac via the USB cable
- Open iTunes and click your Device Name in the navigation panel on the left side
- Click the button labeled as Check for Updates
- iTunes will alert you about the Available Update for your device
- After getting the alert, click on Download and Update option
The download would automatically get installed and after the restart, you would be all set to get your hands on the brand new iOS 6.