Apple released the third beta version of its new iOS 5 to developers, a sign that the tech company is readying the new software for its public launch this year. Also included in the beta release is Apple’s iTunes 10.5 beta 3.
The newest iOS version includes over 200 new user features and 1,500 APIs including iCloud storage and Twitter integration.Apple also released beta versions of its iTunes, Xcode and Apple TV software. The new beta release is said to fix a glitch, where the screen saver of the Apple TV degrades the mirroring performance over AirPlay. The new version will enable wireless mirroring when used with the new Apple TV.
- iCloud storage, which allows users to store user documents and data, and wirelessly push changes to computers and devices automatically;
- Notification Center, to display and manage dpp notifications without interrupting users.
- Newsstand, a new folder on the Home Screen that allows magazines and newspapers to update in the background.
- Twitter integration, which allows one to send tweets directly from apps with a new “Tweet sheet” that allows URL shortening, attaching current location, character count and hosting photos on Twitter.
- Core image, which creates effects in camera and image editing apps.
- iMessage, a new messaging service that works among iOS 5 users over WiFi and 3G.
“Start developing today to take advantage of iCloud Storage, Newsstand Kit, Core Image, GLKit, Twitter and new Game Center APIs” .
The iOS 5 beta 3 can be installed on all versions of the Apple iPad, the iPhone 3GS, the iPhone 4, the Apple TV, and the 3rd and 4th generation iPod TOuch. iTunes 10.5 beta 3 is required for developers to load the new iOS beta version.
Apple said that it will launch the iOS 5 to the public this autumn. Developers are given beta versions of Apples new software ahead of time for them to fix several bugs.