Facebook is the largest social media website. Though most of you know the basic facts about Facebook still we have tried to compile a list of some interesting snippets of info that you might no know about Facebook, so read on and let us know your favorites in the comments box below.
1. If Facebook were a country, it would be the third largest in the world behind China and India. Tech companies would immediately start outsourcing their help centers to it.
2. User privacy really is the company’s top concern. Once a year. On opposite day.
3. Nearly a third of people have posted something to Facebook they’ve later regretted. When it comes to female Disney stars, the percentage jumps up to 90.
4. If all of Facebook’s members were laid end to end, that would be extremely unusual. Most of them are too busy playing Farmville to ever get laid.
5. Facebook’s first outside investor, Peter Thiel, sold half his stock in 2009 to Russian holding firm, DST.
6. An early ad deal with Apple covered Facebook’s expenses during a desperate stretch in 2004.
7. Accel Partners pushed former Facebook president Sean Parker out after a cocaine-related arrest in North Carolina.
8. Before opening Facebook beyond college students, Facebook planned FacebookHIgh.com for high schoolers. The domain was too expensive, though.
9. In 2006 a guy named Chris Putnam hacked into Facebook and made thousands of profiles look like MySpace profiles. Facebook hired him.
10. Remember that weird guy on TheFacebook.com? Turns out he’s modeled after Al Pacino. Whoa!
11. At a house Facebook rented during the summer of 2004, “there was a fair amount of pot smoking, though Zuckerberg frowned on it and didn’t partake.”
12. During Facebook’s first summer, Zuckerberg and his family spent $85,000 keeping the company afloat.
13. LinkedIn founder Reid Hoffman and Zynga Mark Pincus own a crucial social networking patent – and that’s why they own some Facebook stock.
14. At one point, Facebook planned to call its ad product “AdSeed” a ripoff of Google’s AdSense.
15. When Accel partner Jim Breyer invested $12.7 million in Facebook in 2005, Mark Zuckerberg, Sean Parker, and Dustin Moscovitz each took $1 million bonuses.
16. The day after the Accel investment, Mark Zuckerberg was at a gas station when a crazy guy with a gun came at him. Zuck jumped in his SUV and drove away.
17. Steve Chen worked at Facebook for a few weeks before quitting to do his own startup. It was called YouTube.
18. The company then known as TheFacebook bought the domain Facebook.com for $200,000.
19. Mark Zuckerberg didn’t want to add photo-sharing to Facebook, but Sean Parker convinced him to. Facebook is now the most popular photo-sharing site.
20. Mark Zuckerberg’s dog, Beast, has his own Facebook Page. The page has over 153,260 fans.
21. After employees and investors began lobbying for his replacement, Zuckerberg took “CEO lessons” in 2005.
22. The closest Zuckerberg ever came to selling was to Yahoo in 2006, after Facebook opened to workplace networks and nobody noticed.
23. Before News Feed, “each time someone changed their profile picture, it led 25 new page views.”
24. Flickr and Hunch cofounder Caterina Fake couldn’t join Facebook because it thought her name was…fake.
25. There’s an official “Facebook Phone” over in Asia.
26. The average age of a Facebook employee is 31.
27. One Early Facebook Function Was a File Sharing Service.
28. The Meaning of the Term Poke Has Never Been Defined.
29. The Average Facebook User Has 130 Friends.
30. The First “Work Networks” Included Apple and Microsoft.