Staplers are one of most important office tools of the century. Before its invention, people would bind papers pages using a short ribbon. We today have compiled some really interesting facts about staplers (that are utterly useless however), have a look:
1. The first stapler machine was invented during the 1700s for King Louis XV of France.
2. Each of the staples used in the first stapler machine was handcrafted and inscribed with the royal court’s insignia.
3. George McGill took out a US patent in 1866 for a small bendable brass paper fastener making him the pioneer in the invention of staplers.
4. The first semblance to our staplers was invented by B. Jahn Manufacturing Company of Connecticut in 1905.
5. The Jahn staplers had to be hit by a mallet so that the paper would be stapled.
6. The inter-connected metal staples used in common staplers is known as the herringbone series.
7. Swingline introduced a bulkier version of the modern stapler in 1930.
8. The Webster’s dictionary of 1913 didn’t have the word stapler or staples in it.
9. Before the name stapler, the device was called ‘Hotchkiss‘ after the American company that had created them.
10. In Japan the humble stapler is still known as the ‘Hochikisu’ after the old name.
11. Some law offices in UK and US still fasten their wills with ribbons and wax rather than using the stapler.
12. The first magazine of staples was created in 1878.
13. The first ad for staplers came out in the American Munsey‘s Magazine of 1901.
14. In the beginning the stapler was such an unknown feature in the office that companies would buy only one. Often 500 people had to share just one stapler among themselves.
15. The most advanced stapler is the circumferential stapler that is used by surgeons to bind bowels sections together.
16. In some surgeries, a simple surgical stapler is used to close the wounds rather than suture stitches.
17. The world’s most expensive stapler was the 1919 Remington. It sold for $760 on e-Bay.
18. Stapleless staplers have been in existence since 1910. These don’t use metal fasteners, but rather punches a small flap of paper and weaves it secure.
19. The smallest staplers can be carried around in your purse or backpack and are manufactured by Swingline.
20. The largest staplers are industrial staplers that are used in construction, leather, industrial furniture, shoe making etc.
Do you have have useless office stationery facts or stories to share? Let us know by adding your comment below!