Guest Posting 101: A Quick Overview
A guest post is content which you post on another blogger’s website. For a lot of bloggers, it is one of a few legitimate ways of link building. Bloggers who are new to the field or the activity should learn more about how to create great guest posts before looking out for guest posting opportunities. This will help them create a good impression and would open doors for more opportunities. Here is a brief guest posting 101 that will help you in understanding the etiquettes of guest blogging:
Advantages of Guest Posting
Posting articles on another blogger’s website helps in increasing your online presence as a blogger. It is a way of reaching more people in the industry. Your message may encourage a totally different group of people (brand new audience) to think about certain issues or agree with what you are saying.
If the article is good, you may gain new followers from the endeavor. Other than testing your writing skills, posting a good guest post also helps to increase your credibility as people would associate your name with the article that you wrote. Do it often and they will see you as a person of authority for that particular topic. They will look for other articles that you posted and may eventually become your followers.
Things to do Before Writing a Guest Post
Before you start writing a guest post, you must know other related people in the field. Search for relevant websites that accept guest posts. Once you find such websites, read their previous posts to get a feel of the type of topics they accept and determine if there is a writing style that is popular with the readers of that blog. Reading posts will also help you determine what topics have already been tackled in the past.
You can contact the blogger or website owner after going through the list of posts on that particular website. Pitch an idea of a topic you can write about. The blogger may suggest other ideas if it doesn’t like your topic. Remember to respect the site’s admin choice and communicate politely. Do not flood the admin’s inbox with your requests and do not use any software to mass e-mail a common guest post request. Make your message extremely specific and specify the URL of the blog explicitly when you start the communication with any site’s admin as it adds legitimacy to your mail. You can also include links to your previous work in your mail. The manner of approaching owners of the blog will give them an idea of how you are as a person and as a professional.
How to Write a Guest Post
Content is king, something that is now accepted by bloggers as a universal truth, therefore always try to write killer content. This may require you to do lots of research on the topic but readers will repay you for your efforts by sharing it to their peers or on their networks. You can also try to link that piece with other articles on the owner’s website. This shows the owner of the website that you have been following their website well. When writing a guest post, avoid using offensive language and do not promote a person or a company (you are supposed to write an article not an advertisement). The idea is to share useful information with other members of the community.
For new bloggers, it is important to be patient. You will not get offers to guest post right off the bat. Do not get dismayed if you get turned down. Continue writing and establishing your credibility on your blog. Your blog is similar to a portfolio. It will give other bloggers an idea of what you can write about and the quality of work you can produce. Sooner or later, you will get offers to provide a guest post or find websites that will accept your ideas.
Guest Posting Tips
Here are 10 additional tips to help you get started:
- Start looking for smaller blogs and websites. This will help you polish your skills in writing and will give you a better idea of how the industry works. Even guest blogging on smaller sites can help in establishing your presence in the community.
- Popular websites are usually dealing with multiple pitches. Convince such website’s owner why they need to feature your topic and why you are the right person to write it.
- When pitching an idea, make it concise and choose a relevant trending topic which has potential to drive traffic.
- Provide your credentials and blog statistics. This will help show the website owner what you can contribute to the site.
- Provide a link to your blog and other websites that feature your relevant work. Relevancy is extremely important. Always choose a relevant blog and a relevant topic for guest posting.
- Follow the website’s guidelines for guest posts. Depending on the website, some may require you to include pictures or videos while others might not.
- Avoid connecting your article to other articles in your blog. Instead, use your bio to let people know about your website.
- Proofread your work several times before submitting. Grammatical errors and misspelled words can leave a bad impression.
- Inform the owner of how you will send the finished piece. Try to make their work easier by providing a text only version along with the HTML format separately.
- Promote your post on your website and other channels. A popular article with lots of comments will encourage the owner to invite you back to do another guest post.
Guest posting creates win-win situation for all the involved participants (publisher gets free content and thus free traffic, author gets free organic backlinks and lots of free exposure) but it is beneficial only if it is done by properly following the guest posting etiquettes. Improper conduct not only guarantees rejection of the guest post but it also makes bloggers to rethink their decision to accept guest posts.
Some bloggers get so much irritated by amateurs that they completely stop accepting any guest post which makes guest posting difficult for even authentic and professional content writers!
Article written on behalf of QuantumLinx.com.au!